If you’re married, I’m sure you know from experience that things don’t always go smoothly. Add a spouse’s infidelity into the mix and you’re looking at some serious emotional upheaval.
To deal with the ups and downs of married life, some people find solace and strength in meaningful quotes on infidelity and marriage.
I’m sure you agree with me that happy and love filled marriages are hard to find and even more challenging to maintain.
Those who have been married for a while know it takes constant effort on the part of both spouses to remain together and exhibit a union of love and harmony. Successful couples employ diverse ways to strength their relationship and live together in harmony.
The wisdom of a wise person who has the ability to express in words how you feel can give you support and the desire to survive another day. When the day has gone bad and you feel no one understands you, particularly your spouse, evocative quotes can renew your enthusiasm and rekindle a love that’s grown cold.
In that spirit, here are 33 infidelity and marriage quotes that will motivate you to push forward.
1. Love is understood, in a historical way, as one of the great human vocations – but its counterspell has always been infidelity. This terrible, terrible betrayal that can tear apart not only another person, not only oneself, but whole families. ~ Junot Diaz
2. People are always fascinated by infidelity because, in the end – whether we’ve had direct experience or not – there’s part of you that knows there’s absolutely no more piercing betrayal. People are undone by it. ~ Junot Diaz
3. Love works in miracles every day: such as weakening the strong, and stretching the weak; making fools of the wise, and wise men of fools; favouring the passions, destroying reason, and in a word, turning everything topsy-turvy. ~ Marguerite De Valois
4. Marriage is like pi—natural, irrational, and very important. ~ Lisa Hoffman
5. You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~ Sam Keen
6. He who has never experienced hurt, cannot experience true love. ~ Tristan J. Leo
7. It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.
~ Friedrich Nietzsche
8. Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing. ~ Anais Nin
9. A relationship is like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave it broken than try to hurt yourself by putting it back together. ~ Unknown
10. Life is about trusting your feelings and taking chances, losing and finding happiness, appreciating the memories, learning from the past, and realizing people change. ~Atul Purohit
11. No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm together. Unknown
12. Betrayal can only happen if you love. ~ John Le Carre
13. For two people in a marriage to live together day after day is unquestionably the one miracle the Vatican has overlooked. Bill Cosby
14. Infidelity raises profound questions about intimacy. ~ Junot Diaz
15. Why does a woman work ten years to change a man’s habits and then complain that he’s not the man she married? ~ Barbara Streisand
16. The bonds of matrimony are like any other bonds – they mature slowly.
~ Peter De Vries
17. If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love. ~ Michel de Montaigne
18. In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage. ~ Robert Anderson
19. Never to be angry, never to disagree at all seems to most of us a sign not of love, but indifference. ~ Allan Fromme
20. Where there’s marriage without love, there will be love without marriage.
~ Benjamin Franklin
21. Almost no one is foolish enough to imagine that he automatically deserves great success in any field of activity; yet almost everyone believes that he automatically deserves success in marriage. ~ Sydney J. Harris
22. A good marriage is like a casserole. Only those responsible for it really know what goes into it. ~ Anonymous
23. A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.
~ Andre Maurois
24. In many instances, marriage vows would be more accurate if the phrase were changed to, ‘until debt do us part. ~ Sam Ewing
25. The formula for a happy marriage? It’s the same as the one for living in California: when you find a fault, don’t dwell on it. ~ Jay Trachman
26. The Three Ages of Marriage: Twenty is when you watch the TV after. Forty is when you watch the TV during. Sixty is when you watch the TV instead. ~ Unknown
27. The great secret of a successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.~ Harold Nicolson
28. Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice. ~ Fawn Weaver
29. The word ‘romance,’ according to the dictionary, means excitement, adventure, and something extremely real. Romance should last a lifetime. ~Billy Graham
30. Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable. ~Bruce Lee
31. Infatuation is when you think he’s as sexy as Robert Redford, as smart as Henry Kissinger, as noble as Ralph Nader, as funny as Woody Allen, and as athletic as Jimmy Conners.
Love is when you realize that he’s as sexy as Woody Allen, as smart as Jimmy Connors, as funny as Ralph Nader, as athletic as Henry Kissinger and nothing like Robert Redford – but you’ll take him anyway. ~Judith Viorst, Redbook, 1975
32. To keep your marriage brimming with love in the loving cup, whenever you’re wrong admit it, whenever you’re right shut up. ~ Ogden Nash
33. Grow old along with me. The best is yet to be. The last of life for which the first was made. ~ Robert Browning
Do you know of any other good quotes on infidelity and marriage?