There’s an old writer’s saying, “Show, don’t tell.” It’s good for writing a story. And it’s great for taking care of your love life!
No matter how many times you might tell your partner you love them, showing them makes it feel real like no words could ever do.
These don’t have to be grand, romantic gestures (although they could be!). Something as simple as holding the door, picking some fresh flowers from the yard, putting on their favorite CD in the car, or tucking a handwritten note into a packed lunch can do wonders for your relationship.
Don’t know where to begin?
Here’s a list of 50 ways to show your partner how much you love them.
Some are quick and easy, while others take a little bit of planning; what matters is that you make the effort.
Making the effort is what got you both here; continuing to make that effort is what will keep you both here. Showing someone how much they mean to you is good for couples who are happy as well as those feeling stressed by their relationship.
Who knows? It might even inspire your partner to find new ways to show that they love you right back.
Try these ideas to show love with actions:
- Plan a romantic, surprise date
- Make them laugh
- Take a walk together holding hands
- Write a love song or poem
- Snap a photo and send it to your partner
- Light candles
- Let them pick the movie
- Bring home dinner so no one has to cook
- Prepare a great breakfast on the weekend
- Make a handmade gift for them, straight from the heart
- Take a break together: add something fun to a chore-filled day
- Send flowers
- Offer to help them pack for a business trip
- Give them a hug
- Write a love letter
- Bring home their favorite movie on DVD
- Complete a project for them that they’ve been dreading
- Cuddle up, let go of your worries, and just spend some time together
- Surprise them with their favorite snack
- When they’re extra busy, ask how you can help
- Say you’ll run the errands today
- Give them a day off from their normal house tasks
- Suggest your partner spend a few hours with their friends
- Bring home a copy of that new novel they want to read
- Cook your loved one a special dinner
- Get professional pictures taken together
- Watch the sunrise together
- Listen. Always have an open ear to your partner.
- Send a quick text message to say “I’m thinking of you”
- Go dancing
- Surrender the remote
- Hang out with mutual friends
- Steal a kiss when they’re not expecting it
- Go swimming
- Go shopping
- Throw a party
- Take a romantic trip
- Flirt like you did when you first met
- Pick up their favorite coffee on your way home
- Show your partner you trust them
- Be a shoulder to cry on. Be there when they need you the most.
- Give them their space to be alone or pursue independent hobbies
- Watch the kids to give your partner time to relax
- Ask what they would like to do this weekend
- Cook some chicken soup when they’re sick
- Accompany them to their doctor’s appointment
- Give a sincere compliment
- Go for a bike ride
- Wash their car
- Forgive quickly and move on
If you’ve been part of a couple for any length of time, It’s very easy to assume your partner just knows that you love them.
After all, how many times have you told them?
And they probably do know it. But why not show them, too?
Putting words into actions – showing them, not just telling them – is an excellent way to strengthen your relationship. People want more than being told they’re loved.
They want to feel loved. And the way you make someone feel loved is by doing things with them, and for them. This list is a great way to make showing your partner how much they’re loved every day.